With most restaurants and cafes still closed or in limited operations, almost everyone has gone on Google to find a recipe to recreate their favorite food and drinks at home.
In our own kitchens, we can add or change ingredients, tweak proportions, and modify tastes to just the way we like it. This is a great development considering how we’re all looking to make healthier choices amid this pandemic. Now, the store-bought drinks we thought were too sweet or fatty can be adjusted to our lifestyle needs.
One drink we at Buku-Buku Kafe thought could use a DIY version was our bestselling tanglad (lemongrass) iced tea. A sweet cooler, this drink is the perfect partner to our savory Three-Way Sisig and tangy Sinigang na Baka sa Gata.
Health-wise, lemongrass has been known for its ability to lower cholesterol and relieve bloating. Taste-wise, it’s great!
So how can you make your own lemongrass tea at home?
All you’ll need are the following ingredients:
- 4 to 5 cups of water
- 2 bundles of tanglad (lemongrass)
- 2 tbsp calamansi juice to complement the lemongrass flavor
- 1 sachet of Stevia or 2 tsp honey
Next, start cooking:
- Heat 4 to 5 cups of water in a cooking pot.
- Once the water is hot, add your two bundles of lemongrass and bring the water to a boil.
- Stir the boiling water to make sure all the lemongrass is soaked in.
- Cover the pot and let the mixture simmer until the water turns light brown in color (similar to your favorite iced tea).
- Let your tea cool for 20 to 30 minutes before transferring it to a pitcher.
- Chill your tea in the refrigerator overnight.
After resting overnight, you can now serve your homemade iced tea:
- Serve your fresh tanglad iced tea in a glass with ice and 2 tbsp of fresh calamansi juice.
- Sweeten your drink with a pack of Stevia or 2 tsp of honey.
Pro-tip: Save your lemongrass bundles! They’re still good for a second batch of homemade tea.
Need a visual guide for this recipe? Check out our video below:
Sharing more tea ? with our Twitter fam ❤ Try this at home and stay safe and kind! pic.twitter.com/MtUae4RYfK— Buku-Buku Kafe (@BukuBukuKafe) May 24, 2020
Let us know if you’ve tried out our recipe by using the hashtag #BukuBukuKafe.
Stay safe and stay kind!